Thursday, April 16, 2009

So Many Colors!

Now that I had completed an entire mosaic using only beads I was really getting excited to use more color and 'dazzle' in my work, which I had not previously done. Visiting the store to look at beads made me want to create something full of color and vibrancy. I looked at beads and found many I loved but I kept going back to the flat backed rhinestones. There were so many different sizes, shapes and colors and I had to make something with them. I bought lots and lots of them, brought them home, sorted them and began to work. I used a square mirror and painted the base with a transparent glitter paint and while I waited for it to dry gathered everything I could find that was colorful, glittery and different.

I had no pattern in mind, no design in my head, so I just began to glue things down. It was incredibly freeing, after creating mosaics to a particular design and using set colors to be just working in a random fashion as I was. I was so excited by the colors and the way things came together. I added in glass nuggets and large chunky acrylic beads, shiny star shaped rhinestone, small circles of mirror and acrylic cabochons.

I allowed a small trail of gems to cascade from the frame of the mirror and onto the glass itself, I felt it completed the entire piece. I was SO excited with this mosaic, it was the first completely random piece I had ever completed, and I had certainly not used so many colors before in my life. But I loved it. I quickly named it 'The Magpie's Mirror' before it went off to be included in the 'Mirror, Mirror' exhibition. After just two days I received emails asking how I had created the mirror, and if I held classes! Of course I did! Those were the first classes I ever held and it was exciting to know that other people loved my mirror as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment