Saturday, April 4, 2009

How I Got From There to Here! Part I - The Beginning

I began making mosaics about 9 years ago. When we bought our current house I converted one spare bedroom into a workroom. I set my table up in front of the window so I could look out onto the Rockies, and be inspired by the scenery in front of me, although this occasionally allowed me the opportunity to just sit and stare and not actually do any work!

The first mosaic I ever made was pretty bad, I still have it, and when I look at it now I am amazed at how much I have learned (and improved) over the years. I read some books, looked at mosaics on the web and figured I had it all covered. I smashed up some unglazed tile with a hammer - how therapeutic that was - then glued the pieces directly onto a small table top, I didn't even think about using the indirect method to ensure all the tiles were level! Once the glue was dry I grouted the table and was thrilled with my efforts. In reality the table is pretty poor, but I didn't think so at the time.

I was so enthusiastic about my table, I went on to make mosaics for all my family and friends, for which I now unreservedly apologize. I made trivets that were so wobbly nothing would stand straight on them. I used wood for my substrate that was too thin so warped the mosaic as soon as the grout was applied, but I didn't really care. I was creating art and I was so happy about that!

Some of my early works are so bad that the next time I see them I will throw them in the trash!! What a good thing I have improved!

No comments:

Post a Comment